Gloom of Thrones, a standalone card game, spreads the misery and suffering of Gloom to the ill-fated land of dead monarchs, dead knights, dead brothers, dead sisters, dead heirs, dead grandmothers, dead chambermaids, and almost-dead bastards.
Wrest control of a noble family, make their lives miserable in every conceivable way, and deliver them to their ultimate fate. Which is, of course, more death.
Printed on transparent plastic cards, Gloom of Thrones allows multiple cards to be played on top of the same character, determining their ultimate fate while still allowing you to see straight through their machinations, just like Lil’ Finger, advisor to his seventeenth — whoops! eighteenth! — king and/or queen.
As your characters seek a moment of respite on the Porcelain Throne, your goal is to plague them with horrible mishaps like being Seduced by a Sibling or Tumbled from a Tower, while filling the lives of the other noble families with happy events like w̶e̶d̶d̶i̶n̶g̶s̶ and family reunions that will raise their Self-Worth score. The player with the lowest-scoring, most tragedy-afflicted family wins!
When you aim for the Porcelain Throne, you’d best not miss…
Standard Gloom of Thrones, in a tuckbox
- 20 hilarious Characters you’ll be lured into caring about
- 20 horrifying Untimely Deaths that come just when you start to care
- 56 heartbreaking Modifiers describing the miseries that will befall your family
- 11 unexpected Events to keep you on your toes
- 1 Porcelain Throne to help you remember who’s ruling right now, anyway
- Infinite yet bittersweet satisfaction at finally getting the sense of closure the source material will never give you
So, like, 110 transparent plastic cards and a rules sheet.
Plus these delightful deluxe extras, to cheer up your opponents:
- 4 beautiful full-color player mats featuring each family’s residence, crest, and motto, with a clear plastic tray on top to hold each Character’s stack of Modifier cards in place without sliding. Trays designed by GameTrayz.
- A satisfying metal Porcelain Throne token from Campaign Coins. Metal, not porcelain. Cutting-edge technology, without any edges that actually cut you.
- A deluxe box to hold your dragon eggs, or player mats, whichever you prefer. Comes with a horrible surprise. Dragon eggs not included.