26 chatty abbreviations to help you navigate the social world
In the online world you generally can’t go a few clicks without encountering enough abbreviations and acronyms to make your head spin. While some web-heads are fluent in online shorthand, it can be tricky. That’s why we’ve collected these lists of some of the common ones you may encounter.
There are definitely a lot more abbreviations that could be on this list, but these are the most common ones you may encounter. If there’s anything else you think is popular enough to be added to the list, give us a shout!
- AFAIK: As Far As I Know
- AMA: Ask Me Anything
- BAE: Beyond All Else (significant other, boyfriend or girlfriend, or even a best friend)
- BFF: Best Friends Forever
- BRB: Be Right Back
- BTW: By The Way
- FOMO: Fear of Missing Out. Usually a self-diagnosis by someone that hates missing out on social events.
- FTW: For The Win.
- FYI: For Your Information
- ICYMI: In Case You Missed It
- IDC: I Don’t Care
- IDK: I Don’t Know
- IMO/IMHO: In My (Humble) Opinion
- IRL: In Real Life. Not virtual. That big scary place outside of your phone.
- JK: Just Kidding
- LOL: Laugh Out Loud. One of the most pervasive acronyms of the modern age, used by everyone from teeny boppers to business pros. Variations include ROFL (Rolling on the Floor Laughing) and LMAO (Laugh My A** Off).
- NBD: No Big Deal
- NM: Not Much
- NVM: Nevermind
- NSFW: Not Safe For Work. Used as a warning if the content isn’t something suitable for the workplace.
- OMG: Oh My God (or Oh My Gosh)
- SMH: Shaking My Head. This could also be So Much Hate, which means the same thing. Shaking your head at the stupidity.
- TL;DR: Too long; didn’t read. Used by people that didn’t read an article, but feel the need to comment anyway. Also used by post authors to give a simple summation of the post for people that don’t want to read the whole thing.
- TBH: To be honest
- WTF: What The F***?
- YOLO: You Only Live Once
The abbreviations and acronyms on this list are the ones you are most likely to see on social networks. The list grows every day, and even the usage of an abbreviation might differ depending on what people think it means.
If there are any other abbreviations you think should be on the list, be sure to let us know!